Home remedies for stye?
Hello, I am an 18 years old female. I have a stye on my right eye. It is red and I have a bump on my right eye. I visited an ophthalmologist to determine the appropriate treatment. He prescribed me some antibiotics. I also want to try home remedies to treat stye. Can anyone suggest some remedies to treat stye?
@tanvi-0 Hello, A stye is an inflamed oil gland on the edge of your eyelid, where the eyelash meets the lid. It appears as a red, swollen bump that looks like a pimple. It is often tender to the touch. A stye is caused by a blockage of one of the oil glands in the eyelids. This allows bacteria to grow inside the blocked gland. Styes are a lot like common acne pimples that occur elsewhere on the skin. Following home remedies will help you treat it
- A warm compress is the most effective way to treat a stye. The warmth helps bring the pus to the surface and dissolves the pus and oil so the stye can drain naturally. Wet a clean washcloth with warm water. Make sure the water isn’t too hot. Wring the cloth so it’s damp but not dripping. Then gently place it over your eye for about 5 to 10 minutes. Don’t squeeze or try to puncture the stye.
- Use a warm tea bag
- Avoid eye lenses
- Do not squeeze it
Seek medical help if:
- You have problems with your vision.
- The eyelid bump worsens or does not improve within a week or two of self-care.
- The eyelid bump or bumps become very large or painful.
- Another stye comes back soon after successful treatment of a stye.
- Your eyelid bump bleeds.