How can I lessen the pain after Total knee replacement surgery (TKR)?
Hello, two weeks back my father had Total knee replacement surgery (TKR). He is in pain. What can I do to lessen his pain? How can I lessen the pain after Total knee replacement surgery (TKR)?
@adina Hello, Your pain should lessen every week. There are many ways you can ease your pain:
- Go for a walk a few times each day.
- After activity (exercises or walking) lie down and apply a cold pack to your incision. This can help reduce swelling and pain. Use cold packs several times throughout the day.
- You may feel some discomfort in your new joint. Raise (elevate) your leg above the level of your heart by placing a pillow under your calf or ankle, not your knee. You can also try massage, aromatherapy, music therapy or other non-medicine ways to relieve pain.
- Take the prescription pain medicine as directed.
- Talk to your doctor if your pain doesn’t lessen.
As TKR is a replacement procedure, it takes gradual time to settle things. We advice gradual mobilization, physio and mild analgesics SOS for 15 days or till the patient is comfortable. few precautions like limb elevation and gradual mobilization lessen the pain. If still, it pains please take the opinion of our health experts on firstname.lastname@example.org