What is the best way to avoid liver damage?
Hello, I am 45 years old. My distant recently had a liver transplant. After hearing that I was a bit afraid as I have certain complications like diabetes. Can anyone suggest how can I prevent liver damage?
@artha Hello, To prevent liver disease:
- Drink alcohol in moderation
- Keep your food safe. Wash your hands thoroughly before eating or preparing foods. If traveling in a developing country, use bottled water to drink, wash your hands, and brush your teeth.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can cause nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Avoid toxins. Toxins can injure liver cells. Limit direct contact with toxins from cleaning and aerosol products, insecticides, chemicals, and additives. When you do use aerosols, make sure the room is ventilated, and wear a mask. Don’t smoke.
- Get vaccinated. There are vaccines for hepatitis A and hepatitis B. Unfortunately, there’s no vaccine against the hepatitis C virus.
- Eat a healthy diet and get regular exercise.