Is it possible to suddenly become allergic to alcohol?
Hello, I am 39 years old male. A few months back I took a glass of cider and Suddenly my face, hands, and feet swell up. My face turned red, my throat became swollen. After that a few weeks back I have tried having a beer, or a glass of wine, but the same thing happens. And hives all over my body, that stay for 1-2 hours. Since then I haven’t touched alcohol. Has anybody else had this problem? I started drinking alcohol when I was 21 years old but I never encountered this thing. What can be done about it? Is it possible to suddenly become allergic to alcohol?
@firdaus Hello, It’s possible to develop an alcohol allergy at any point in your life. The sudden onset of symptoms may also be caused by a newly developed intolerance. alcohol allergy is rare, but the reactions can be severe. If you have a true alcohol allergy, even small amounts of alcohol can cause symptoms. In some cases, it can even cause anaphylaxis. Alcohol allergy occurs when your immune system over-reacts to contact with a trigger. It responds to alcohol by producing antibodies known as immunoglobulin E (IgE). These antibodies trigger an allergic reaction in your body. You should avoid drinking alcohol. Thanks!